Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Simple Gestures and Future Hope

At the end of the school day last Tuesday, while I was on crosswalk duty, one of my ELD students gave me this small flower. It was a small simple gesture that I appreciated. This is just one of the reasons I enjoyed my day last Tuesday. I also enjoyed it because I was privileged to watch the Presidential Inaguration with my class. I enjoyed watching them watch the ceremony. I was thinking as I watched them that I was very lucky to have the privilege of watching our future generation watch such an important moment in history when we stepped closer to the meaning of the words in our Constitution. That day we stepped closer to the dream of all men being created equal, closer to the promise of the United States as the land of opportunity for all people. Closer to the dream of a country in which we respect one another, and support each other, even if we do not all hold the same values and beliefs. That is the privilege of being an American, to believe what we choose to believe, to let others do the same, and to share in a vision of hope for the future and freedom for all.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Very well said Mona!

Shaun, Erica, Isaac, Parker, & Blake said...

Awww! So wonderful! You made me miss teaching... Well, amlost made me miss teaching! ;)